Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hand-Me-Downs:Best blanket ever!

When Braska was born, she received more than 10 hand-made blankets and afghans.  Our good friend Karen K made her a blanket that I thought was great.  It was so unbelievably soft and pretty, and it was a perfect weight--like not too heavy, but yet still warm enough.  It quickly became my favorite blanket for Braska in bed because it would move with her and stay on her during all her wiggling in her sleep.

Braska's never really had a favorite anything.  She has no real preference for a toy or blanket or doll.  But I always kept this blanket consistent whether we were at home or Grandma's or at the hospital.  It seemed to work for her, to calm her.  This blanket became invaluable, and we never left home without it if an overnight stay was involved.

This is Braska back in early April 07 after she had been flown to Children's for severe dehydration and Rotavirus.  As the helicopter was taking her from C-U to StL, I was rushing home to grab things and I made sure to grab the blanket.
braskasad2
 

This was one of our favorite pictures during that hospital stay.  Braska's little toes peeking out through the blanket weave while she slept.  Too cute.
toesblanket 

Right before Kinlee was born, I talked to Karen and asked her what she'd used to make the blanket, thinking I'd try knitting one myself.  Braska was needing one just a bit bigger by this time, and I figured I could do it.  But after about 2 seconds of thinking I'd have time to take on such a project, I decided to take Karen up on her offer to make another one, as she'd planned to for Kinlee.  It was determined that she'd make another blanket for Braska and I'd pass on the original blanket to Kinlee since it was just so perfect for the tiny ones.

That's what happened.  The new blanket is gorgeous!  And it's just what Braska needs now. Kinlee's had her inherited blanket from day one and really seems to like it.  She shows preference for things like her little blanket bunny (thanks Lainie!) and this soft blanket.  When she was sitting in the chair last month,  I took a few pics, and I was pleased to find this one when I took them off the camera.
blanketfingers

She often wakes up with her hands through the weave, just holding on to her special blanket.  If I ever get a chance to go back to knitting, (not that I ever did alot of it!) I'll attempt to replicate this wonder so that I can be sure that the girls always have one, and I can share them as gifts in the hopes that they can be as cherished as ours is. 

Thanks again, Karen!!  We miss you guys!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Tiny Braska just steals my heart!! And the toes & fingers poking through? Too cute!

How sweet that the girls get to share a blankie.

Karen K said...

It warms my heart to see then enjoyed so much! Miss you too:o)

© Kinlee Carene | Blogger Template by Enny Law